Posted in: Cancer by Dr. Tarang Krishna
Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers in both men and women accounting for 27% cancer deaths worldwide.
- Smoking causes 80%- 90% cases of lung cancer. It is the main reason of non- small cell and small cells lung cancer.
- Men are more likely to develop lung cancer (23 times) in their lifetime compared to women (13 times).
- Non- smokers have 20-30% greater chances of getting cancer if they are exposed to secondhand smoking.
- Other factors that increases the risk includes: Radon exposure, genetics, asbestos and environmental factors.
- The stage of lung cancer depends on the extent to which the cancer has spread in the body.
Myths and Facts:
- Myth: Only smokers get lung cancer
Fact: Not only smokers, but non- smokers can also get lung cancer due to passive smoking, radiation, asbestos, air pollution etc.
- Myth: If you have smoked for years you will get lung cancer
Fact: It is never too late to quit. Ten years after quitting and the former smokers can cut the risk of developing lung cancer by up to 50%.
- I am too young to get lung cancer
Fact: Though it is more common in older people but lung cancer can occur in young people also.
- Myth: Lung cancer is not caused by pipes and cigars
Fact: Pipes or cigars not only increase the lung cancer risk but also the risk for cancers of the mouth, throat, and esophagus.
- More women die from breast cancer than lung cancer
Fact: Almost half of the cases occur in women, and more women die of lung cancer than any other type of cancer.
- Though the symptoms can take years to develop, they include:
- Cough that won’t go away easily.
- Pain in the chest area and headache.
- Coughing up blood.
- Change in the voice- hoarse voice.
- Weakness and unexplained weight loss.
- Shortness of breath.
Few of the most common treatments include: Radiation Therapy, Chemotherapy, Surgery, Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy. Though effective, most of the traditional treatments result in major side effects like hair loss, damage to normal cells, bone loss etc. However Immunotherapy is one of the best options available till date as this therapy uses the body’s own immune system to fight cancer without any major side effects. Know more about the treatment here: Cancer Healer Center