Posted in: Prostate Cancer by Dr. Tarang Krishna
When you’re diagnosed with prostate cancer, you may wind up with one impending thought: What do I do now? Here are a few steps recommended by best cancer doctor in India to guide you in the first part of your cancer journey.
- Educate yourself: Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancer in men so there’s a lot of information. But you don’t need to read and accept everything right now. Many prostate tumors develop slowly, so you might not need to make decisions right away. Get help from your doctor figure out what all you need to know now. This will help you stay calm and make better choices.
Adopt a healthy lifestyle: A healthy diet, regular exercise and weight management are important to keep you healthy in the prostate cancer treatment and prevent other diseases which comes along with getting older. A healthy lifestyle cannot hurt your prognosis and may be helpful. Here are some recommendations:
- Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits
- Avoid processed meat and poultry
- Focus on good fats and plenty of calcium
- Aim for vigorous physical activity to maintain a healthy weight
Consider all your prostate cancer treatment options: Find out about the best treatment for prostate cancer available for you. Ask your cancer doctor about any side effects so that you know what to expect and how to manage them. This will help choose the right cancer treatment for you. Here are some recommended questions to ask your doctor:
- What are the prostate cancer treatment options?
- If treated, what to expect in terms of cure, survival and side effects?
- How much experience does the doctor have in prostate cancer treatment?
- How do you assess the outcomes?
- Get emotional support: Prostate cancer can have a huge impact on many aspects of your life such as sex life, financial situation and personal life. But remember asking for help is not a sign of weakness. You can involve your close ones. For other sources of support, you can go to your doctor and nurses for ideas or search for support groups.
- Stay Positive: The final and most important tip is to never give up. It is very important to have faith and hope. With the new and more diagnostic tools and cancer treatment, the chances have increased. Continue to work with your doctor to monitor your condition and determine the right prostate cancer treatment plan for you.
18 Jan, 2019