Posted in: Cancer by Dr. Tarang Krishna
Leukemia is the cancer of blood cells. It begins in bone marrow, the soft tissues inside most bones. When we are healthy, our bone marrow makes :
- White Blood Cells which help our body fight infection.
- Red Blood Cells which carry oxygen to all parts of our body.
- Platelets which help our blood clot.
When we have Leukemia, our bone marrow does not work normally. It produces abnormal white blood cells, called Leukemia cells. These abnormal blood cells grow faster than normal blood cells and do not stop when they should. There are several types of Leukemia. In general, Leukaemia can be grouped into two broad categories :
- Acute or Chronic: Acute Leukemia gets worse very fast & may make us feel sick right away. Chronic Leukemia gets worse slowly & may not cause symptoms for years.
- Lymphocytic or Myelogenous: Lymphocytic Leukemia affects white blood cells. Myelogenous Leukemia affects white blood cells called myelocytes.
Types of Leukemia include:
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
- Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia ( CLL)
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
In adults, CLL & AML are the most common leukaemias. Children get mostly affected by ALL. Children leukaemias also include AML & other myeloid leukaemias such as CML & Juvenile Myelomocytic Leukemia (JMML). Other less common leukaemias include hairy cell Leukemia.
Causes of Leukemia
Experts generally don’t know which risk factors causes Leukemia. But there are some things which increase the risk of certain kinds of Leukemia. We are likely to get leukemia if we
- are exposed to greater amounts of radiation.
- are exposed to certain chemicals such as benzene.
- Have Down syndrome or other genetic problems.
Nutrition & Physical Activity
Intake of proper Nutrition & Staying physically active during & after the treatment is important. We need right amount of calories to maintain the right/required weight. We need to have enough amount of protein to keep up our strength & have more energy. Research shows that staying active make us feel better. Activities such as walking, yoga etc keeps us strong & provides more energy. Following a healthy nutritious diet & involving a physical activity keeps us away from the symptoms such as nausea, pain, stress, vomiting, fever, headaches, and weight loss. Cancer Healer is taking numerous steps to spread awareness regarding Leukaemia (blood cancer) & treatment plan. It can help you learn about all blood cancer treatment options and possible side effects. It also provides information & services to help you get through treatment and live well afterward.