About Malignant Mesothelioma
It is a cancer of the mesothelial cells that usually starts in the covering of the lungs (pleural mesotheliomas) or the abdomen (peritoneal mesotheliomas). It can sometimes start in the covering around the heart (pericardial mesotheliomas) and testicles (mesotheliomas of the tunica vaginalis).
Rare cancer with about 5 times as many cases in men as in women.
- Age: The risk of mesothelioma increases with age (more common in people above 65)
- Gender: The disease is more common in men compared to women
- Chemicals: The biggest risk factor of developing the disease is exposure to asbestos. Asbestos has been used in many products, including cement, brake linings, roof shingles, flooring products, textiles, and insulation. Hence, most cases of mesothelioma occur in men who have worked in industries which uses asbestos or who have used asbestos products, particularly in construction. Also working as a painter can increase the risk due to the presence of chemicals in paints
- Radiation: According to research the risk of mesothelioma increases for people with cancer who were treated with radiotherapy
- SV40 virus: People who are contacted with the SV40 virus along with asbestos have high chances of developing the disease
The symptoms of mesothelioma are caused by a build-up of tumor tissue surrounding the lung and fluid in the pleural space that prevents the lung from expanding fully. Few of the most common symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- As the disease progresses, patients may lose weight and have a dry cough
- In the abdomen, the tumor tissue causes abdominal swelling and pain
- Poor appetite resulting in loss of weight
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Feeling of being sick
After the physical examination if any symptoms are found, the following tests are done to confirm the presence of cancer:
- Chest X-ray: It can confirm the fluid collection around the lungs (abnormality in the lung area) and show fluid or swelling around the abdomen
- CT scan: This scan helps to find out abnormal swellings in body organs or lymph nodes. If abnormal area is found, then a part of the tissue is removed and tested in the laboratory to find the presence of cancerous cells (biopsy)
- Fluid drainage: People with mesothelioma will have collection of fluid around their lungs and abdomen. In this test the fluid is removed and checked for the presence of cancerous cells
- Peritoneoscope: A peritoneoscope is used to enter the abdomen to obtain a tissue sample in abdominal mesothelioma which is then tested in the laboratory for the presence of the disease
- Laparoscopy: It is another procedure that uses tube attached with a camera to look for abnormal areas in the body and samples are then taken and sent to laboratory for further evaluation
- The best way to reduce the risk is by avoiding exposure to asbestos in home and at work. If there is a chance of exposure than protective equipments and safety measures should be followed
- Avoiding sweeping and scraping surfaces that are made or contains asbestos
- Avoid tobacco. According to research there is a link found between mesothelioma and tobacco
- Getting regular checkups if there is a history of asbestos exposure.
There was a time when the only option for the patients for mesothelioma treatment was palliative care with the aim of relieving pain and other symptoms. Although there is no definitive mesothelioma treatment, survivors are living longer because of the advancements in therapy and multidisciplinary and individual specific - approach for the mesothelioma treatment. Mesothelioma treatment plans usually consist of a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It is a type of cancer that is difficult to diagnose and hence treatment becomes difficult. Most of the traditional therapies fail in the last stage. However, Cancer Healer Center offers a ray of hope. Cancer Healer Therapy used at the center has been successful in treating cancer even in the last stage. The therapy is based on Immunotherapy, a therapy that stimulates the immune system to fight cancer with complete, long- lasting cure for patients. The treatment aims to fight cancer and restore its ability to eliminate cancer cells in the future. Mesothelioma treatment may include surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Immunotherapy treatment from Cancer Healer center help to treat the disease from root cause thereby provide patient a better quality of life without any side effects, even at advance stages of Mesothelioma.