Cancer affects millions of lives every year. Both men and women, irrespective of age,geographical location and religion fall prey to this deadly ailment. There are several reasons that cause cancer. In this section, we highlight the significance of a healthy diet and how it can prevent cancer.
Research suggests that one-third of all cancer cases are related to lack of physical activity and nutritional diet. Nutrition and cancer are closely related. One can lower his/her risk of developing cancer by consuming a healthy diet.
Diet and cancer (Dietary changes to lower cancer risk)
You cannot change your food habits in the blink of an eye. So start small and gradually work it up. Since there is no particular fruit or vegetable that can help prevent cancer, a well-balanced diet is highly recommended. Consuming a variety of colorful foods is one's best bet. Immune boosting foods are plant based and have a high nutrient quotient. They also guard the body against cancer cells.
Below listed are a few cancer prevention diet tips along with the names of cancer fighting foods
- Lung and stomach cancer - Focus on diets that are rich in fruits
- Larynx, pharynx, mouth and lung cancer - Consume vegetables with high carotenoids such as squash, brussels sprouts and carrots
- Oesophagal and stomach cancer - Eat vegetables that are non-starchy. For example- spinach, beans, broccoli, etc.
- Oesophagal cancer- Foods rich in Vitamin C such as peas, berries, dark leafy greens, oranges, bell peppers
- Prostate cancer- Lycopene rich foods such as watermelon, guava, tomatoes, etc.
However, there are certain foods that increase one's risk of cancer. Their regular consumption is known to be fatal to your health.
Below are the cancer causing foods which you must avoid in order to live a healthy life
- Processed meats - Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, etc. are extremely bad for your health.
- Red meat - Evidence suggests that consumption of excessive amount of red met increases the risk of cancer.
- Soda - They are filled with artificial ingredients, sugar and calories which have zero nutritional value.
- Microwave popcorn- The chemicals in microwave popcorn cause pancreatic, testicular and liver cancer.
- Potato chips and French fries - These contain a carcinogenic substance, acrylamide which is formed when the food is heated to high temperatures.