Posted in: Breast Cancer Treatment by Dr. Tarang Krishna
Early diagnosis is essential to acquire fast and appropriate breast cancer treatment, but it does not prevent breast cancer. While there is no one single factor, food or diet which can prevent or cause breast cancer, diet is an area in which individual choices can make a real difference.The strategies described will help us avoid the potential breast cancer causing agents in our environment, and offer information that will help us make protective dietary and lifestyle choices.
Prevention Strategy #1 - Avoid Toxic Environmental Agents
Researchers and scientists have scientifically documented information on the environmental factors which increase the risk of breast cancer. People can avoid some cancer causing exposures such as tobacco, ultraviolet radiation, medical X-rays and some chemicals in the environment.
Prevention Strategy #2 - Eat Protective Foods
Poor diet plays a role in 40% of the breast cancer cases, so insist on organic fruits and vegetables to reduce the exposure to toxic estrogens. Increase the intake of organic vegetables, especially the ones which belong to the cruciferous family. Limit your sugar intake and ensure the fats you eat are rich in essential fatty acids. Researchers believe that daily consumption of the lignans in the flax seeds prevent breast cancer.
Prevention Strategy #3 - Keep your weight in check
Being overweight can increase the risk of different kinds of cancer especially breast cancer. Studies show that a year-long program of aerobic exercise reduced the body fat in postmenopausal women and 300 minutes per week of moderate-to-vigorous exercise was more effective at cutting body fat than 150 minutes a week. In order to lose weight, you need to reduce your caloric intake and burn more calories. A study divided in previously inactive, obese, postmenopausal women into diet, exercise and control groups. Women in both the diet and exercise groups lost weight, and exercising resulted in maintenance of lean mass and improved fitness. It also produced greater fat loss and led to a huge reduction in sex hormones associated with breast cancer.
Prevention Strategy #4 - Avoid smoking
Everyone knows how unhealthy smoking is. On top of lowering quality of life and increasing the risk of heart disease and breast cancer, it also causes smelly breath, bad teeth and wrinkles. This is good enough a reason to get smoke-free.
Prevention Strategy #5 -Take Protective Nutritional Supplements
Keeping aside selenium, zinc and vitamins A, C and E in the nutrients, here are a few mentioned below.
- Indone-3-carbinol (I3C) : Research says that I3C helps to break down cancer-causing estrogens to non-toxic forms. It is the most heavily researched nutrient for breast cancer treatment.
- Calcium D- glucarte - It is a powerful detoxifier of excess and toxic estrogens.
- Green tea extract - It contains catechins, flavonoids and polyphenols protective against estrogen - dominant breast cancers.
- Curcumin - It is a power anti-inflammatory agent which works to inhibit all the steps of cancer formation.
- Rosemary extract - Inhibits breast cancer development.
- Lycopene - It was recently shown to reduce a women’s risk of breast cancer by 36%.
- Sulfurophane - It is a powerful anti-breast cancer agent.
These natural breast cancer treatment and preventions strategies will empower you to take care of the health and make lifestyle changes reducing the risk of breast cancer.