Posted in: Colon Cancer by Dr. Tarang Krishna
Colon Cancer is one of the most common types of Cancer. The colon, or large intestine, is a muscular, tube-shaped organ measuring about 4 feet long. It extends from the end of the small bowel to the rectum . The colon consists of four parts: descending colon, ascending colon, transverse colon, and sigmoid colon. Two third of these cancers occur in the colon and one third in the rectum and with very few in the small intestine.
Causes of Colon cancer-
1. Inherited genetic risk and family history
2. Inflammatory bowel diseases
3. Excessive smoking and consumption of alcohol and meat.
4. Being overweight and obese
5. Intestinal Polyps
6. Low Fibre and high fat diet
7. A Sedentary Lifestyle
Both men and women are equally at the risk of colon cancer. This cancer is common amongst the people aged 50 and older but can sometimes happen in teenagers as well. Around 75% of the cancers happen to people with no known risk factors, which is why regular screening is so important. A personal and family history of the colon cancer can also increase the risk of it.
Symptoms of Colon Cancer-
The most common signs are -
1. Bleeding from the rectum or any sign of blood after a bowel motion.
2. A change in your bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool, that lasts longer than four weeks
3. Abdominal discomfort or cramps.
4. Unexplained weight loss
5. Unexplained tiredness.
Visit the doctor immediately if you have experienced any signs or symptoms.
Many people with colon cancer experience no symptoms in the early stages of the disease. When symptoms appear, they'll likely vary, depending on cancer's size and location in your large intestine.
Ways to prevent Colon cancer -
Making small changes to our daily lives can make a huge difference to the risk of developing colon cancer. Here are some ways to prevent it -
1. Eat more of fruits, fresh vegetables, and whole grains
2. Maintain a healthy weight.
3. Reduce your alcohol consumption
4. Indulge in regular exercising and physical activity
5. Avoid red meat and add chicken and fish in the diet
6. Quit smoking
Colon Cancer Treatment
Colon cancer treatment is based on the stage and extent of cancer but other factors are also important. People usually opt for surgery and chemotherapy as the main and first step towards bowel cancer treatment but there are chances that the cancer may come back at the same place or in distant organs. Cancer Healer Center, a renowned cancer hospital in India treats colon cancer without any surgery, chemotherapy or radiation therapy. The colon cancer treatment works on the principle of immunotherapy.
This is a therapy which boosts the immune system and fights against the disease without any major side effects such as hair loss, bone loss or damage to the normal functioning of the cells. Patients suffering from all stages and types of cancer can be treated with Cancer Healer Therapy. This may be used alone or in combination with other cancer treatments and most people will be able to return to their old lifestyles and activities.
If you feel you are at a risk of bowel cancer, making changes does not have to be a massive overhaul of your current lifestyle. Even a small change can make a huge difference.